Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My Fav Ed. Nar.

     Of all the blogs I've read and posted on, Malcolm X's "Learning to Read" really stood out. The way he took a bad moment in his life and turned it into a learning experience really inspired me to make the best of every situation I get. 
     When Malcolm firsts entered prison he had poor penmanship, a small vocabulary, and very slow reading skills. His want to improve his writing skills started through his letters, "I became increasingly frustrated at not being able to express what I wanted to convey in letters that I wrote" quickly he began studying the dictionary and copying down pages of vocabulary words. Malcolm read countless educational texts, studied hundreds of thousands of vocabulary words, and wrote pages of letters and notes simply because he wanted to learn and improve his literacy skills.
     I respect Malcolm for his determination to increase his education and create such a learning environment out of prison. Plenty of people are thrown into prison and turn a bad situation into something worse, but Malcolm did the complete opposite, he created a seven year study session simply because he wanted to excel in reading and turn himself into a better, well read person.

2 comments:

  1. Lucas, excellent work on your blog--your posts are thorough, and the visuals you've got here are terrific! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete